Friday, November 25, 2005

Warning: This Box of Plastic may contain traces of Chocolate!

Things tend towards being overpackaged in Japan. I think possibly as a result of the Japanese axiom : Clean=Beautiful. This is literal. The word for Beautiful, Pretty, Nice is Kirei. This is also the word for Clean.

If you buy something - say, some chocolate - you get: Chocolate pieces, individually wrapped in plastic, inside a box, which is wrapped in plastic. This is then put into another plastic bag, unless you resist mightily. You are a space alien if this doesnt make complete and obvious sense.

This is a Gross Generalisation, which I wouldnt normally make, except that the sheer amount of packaging I am being bombarded with is getting me down just a little.

Maybe I just need a haircut...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh Heh - looks like the minimal sign is alivae and well in Japan!!

when I was in Taiwan I found the same issues with packaging. The one that got my goat was the disposable wooden chopsticks, shring wrapped and presented in a paper sleeve printed with the eatery's logo.

If you ate late walking to your table was like a stroll through a Melbourne park in May.

You should make a gallery of your used packaging

:)

8:53 pm, November 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home