Tuesday, April 01, 2008

First week


Wow. I've been here a week already! Despite no lessons for the last few days (Kakizakai went on holidays to Taiwan for a few days) I've settled into practice well. I'm enjoying the piece I'm working on (Hifumi Hachigaeshi) and its coming along nicely. Not far off memorising it.

I managed to get out on the bike a bit on the weekend. Did a 30km round trip west down the valley to the white bridge and then back on the other side of the river. I stopped at a temple called Seiun-ji, which is apparently famous for its weeping cherry trees - but not quite in blossom yet though. next weekend maybe.

Lots of (what I think are) magnolias out at the moment though - very pretty. Can anyone confirm this from the photo? (click on it to see a large version)

Kakizakai says the sakura is big in Tokyo at the moment. Hopefully it lasts until the weekend. He also think this weekend will be peak time in Chichibu - but the weather has been pretty weird. Yesterday was freezing - rain here, snow on Buko-san. Today was clear but insanely windy.


Its an interesting challenge being here. There are no other foreign students here at the moment - I haven't seen any other westerners at all. Its a bit like a solo retreat - no distractions, but care and focus required so that the isolation doesn't become overwhelming. It feels good though, and I feel very clear headed. Its nice to have the time and space for thoughts to come and go, and come again, developing a bit more each time.



I came across a great quote in a book by Murakami that I've just finished -

"In this world, there are some things you can only do alone, and things you can only do with someone else. It's important to combine the two in just the right amount."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

G'day Son,
Mum says yep they are Magnolias.. look very pretty. Glad things are going well. Mum says take more photos of Magnolias as she likes to paint them and has sold a couple of paintings of them.
Cheers
Dad, Mum, n' Katie

6:05 pm, April 02, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ben,
I agree definatly Magnolias, if I knew how I'd send you a photo of my extremly authentic looking silk replicas. Love your postings,and understand the solitude thing,I love my own space...enjoy! Aunt Cis

7:15 am, April 03, 2008  
Blogger kated said...

Hi Benjisan
yep - magnolias, as everyones has says...beautiful...wish I was there! We went to Shinkjuku in the late summer in the heat and cicadas, found an excellent rooftop garden ontop of one of the BIG department stores.....but there are lots of them in Tokyo
keitosan

12:54 pm, April 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home