Saturday, November 25, 2006

Autumn in Kyoto, Part 1


After visiting Tom, I headed for Kyoto. This time of year it's especially beautiful - the colours are just luminous...


The first morning, I visited a place called Nanzen-ji, in the east, and followed a trail up behind the temple way up into the mountains. Right on the top was a wonderful, dense forest of tall, slender trees - cypress or cedar, maybe. I couldn't resist pulling out the flute and playing for a while.


Partway up the trail, I came across this. Its a waterfall shower, for brave monks who wish to get closer to nature...


It looked like it would be quite refreshing. The kind of refreshing where you feel so alive you can only stand it for a split second before involuntarily leaping around yelling, flapping your arms and gasping for breath... :)









Later, I trekked out to one of my favourite places in all of Japan - Koto-in. I'd timed my trip perfectly and the garden was stunning.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Justine here!

Ben this is great post, as always such a pleasure to read. I'd love to see and hear more about what you did, where you stayed. Why not post littler versions of the images, and put bigger ones on flickr, in a set with the same name as the blog entry? Hahaha - probably I'll go now to your flickr and find that you've already done this :)

Maaaaybe because I am feeling peckish, but you know also I'd love to read a post dedicated to what you eat there - pocky, leafy pie, noodles, and the tea you have in the morning, and the mountain potato truck ....

much love
justine

9:22 am, November 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Juzzie on that one! We want part two!! :-D

Lot of love,
Anna

12:40 pm, November 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home